top of page

Study To immigrate

Education offers a route to Canadian permanent residence

Canada has always been a welcoming country for international students to pursue their graduation or post-graduation courses. It encourages foreign students to stay, work and contribute to the country’s economy.
The country paves the way for international students who complete their post-secondary in Canada to stay and obtain Permanent  Canadian Immigration. Once they have completed their studies at an eligible

Canadian post-secondary institution, international graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which allows them to work in Canada.

Under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, international graduates can obtain three years of open work permits, allowing them to work for any Canadian employer in any industry.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, a candidate must have the following:

  • Must have studied full-time for 8 months preceding the completion of their program and must have graduated from.

  • A public postsecondary educational institution (university, college or CEGEP).

  • A private postsecondary educational institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for operations from government grants.

  • A Canadian private educational institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees.

  • Must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving confirmation from their academic institution stating that they fulfill all the requirements of the program.

  • Must have a valid Study Permit when applying for the Work Permit.

  • The program of study must be a minimum of 2 years for the graduate to obtain the three years’ work permit.

  • If the program was less than 2 years but longer than 8 months, still the graduate is eligible to obtain a work permit for the same duration as the program of study.


Applying for Permanent Residency

If you are an international student who has recently graduated from an accredited Educational Institution in Canada and chooses to make Canada your permanent home then you likely have the qualities to make a successful transition from Temporary to Permanent residence. However, obtaining a Permanent Residency in Canada could be a complicated and stressful task. To help you at every step to better understand the process, we have put together a few resources below:

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

The CEC program is an immigration program that allows candidates with a specific skilled working experience obtained in Canada with proper authorization to immigrate permanently. The individual must have at least 1 year of work experience or have at least 1560 hours of paid work (continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time).

To be eligible for the program, an individual must possess the following:

  • Management job experience

  • Professional job experience –candidates usually need a degree from a university for these jobs (e.g. doctors, architects, etc.)

  • Technical job and skilled trades experience – the candidate usually need a college diploma or he/she must be trained as an apprentice to do these job (e.g. chefs, electricians, etc.)

  • The paid work experience must have occurred within the last three years before you apply. Self- employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student does not count under this program.


The Quebec Experience Class Program (PEQ)

The Quebec Experience Class Program (PEQ) is equivalent to the federal Canadian Experience Class Program (CEC), but much easier and an individual can qualify sooner under this program than the CEC program. This immigration program allows international students or temporary international workers to apply for Immigration to Canada and establish themselves permanently in the Province of Quebec. It should be noted that the PEQ is not a point-based system such as the QSW program. You are qualified only if you meet the specific requirements. The designated learning institutions include colleges, universities and technical vocational schools that have been specifically recognized by the Canadian Government to accept foreign students.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible to apply for a Canadian Study Permit, an aspiring student must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • A student must obtain an Acceptance Letter from a Designated Learning Institution;

  • Must obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec, if the student wishes to study in Montreal or the Province of Quebec.


Additional Documents

In order to apply for a Study Permit, an applicant is required to submit a set of documents, which are as follows:

  • A valid passport;

  • Proof of adequate financial ability to support yourself financially during your stay in Canada, including your tuition fee and other expenses.

  • Be in good health because IRCC may ask for a medical exam;

  • Bank statement;

  • Documentation of education loan from a financial institution


*Note that these are the basic documents requirement.

How can New Nation Immigration help you?

Once a prospective student has all the required documents and meets all the eligibility criteria you are all set to apply for a Canadian Study Permit.
Our Immigration experts have deep and extensive knowledge which they have accumulated from processing thousands of study permit application.
If studying in Canada is your dream, then follow the steps below to make it a reality:

Application to School

The first step towards applying for a Study Permit is to select a qualified school/program and obtain a letter of acceptance. This letter is issued by a Canadian educational institution stating that a person has been accepted into a program. To help you with that, BetterPlace Immigration will help you prepare your application to the school and the program of your choice.

Application for Quebec CAQ (if applicable)

After obtaining a Letter of Acceptance from the college/university, if you are planning to study in the province of Quebec, there are a few extra steps to getting your permit. Quebec has its own independent immigration policies for international students. So, if you wish to study in Quebec you have to get a Certificate d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ). We will then make a CAQ application on your behalf.
A CAQ application is required only for Quebec.

Application for a Study Permit

After receiving an admission letter from the university and a CAQ (if applicable), we can then proceed with your application for a Study Permit. If you have any further queries, allow our Immigration Experts to guide you with the process and assure you the best possible outcome.



  • Student Permit

  • Study To immigrate

Image by Luke Chesser


Your immigration to Canada is just a click away. There is an immigration program for everyone. Based on your qualifications, we will design an immigration strategy designed to suit your goals.


Toronto, Canada

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

New Delhi, India

London, UK

New York, USA

Sydney, Australia


New Nation Immigration

(+1) 613 416 9400


  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter





bottom of page